Common signs you may need air conditioning
repairs in St. Louis include:
- Frequent Cycling: All air conditioning systems go through cycles, no matter what the weather is like outside. There are certain times your AC is going to come on, or “cycle” more frequently, i.e. during the highest temperatures of summer. However, if your air conditioner turns off and on all the time, seemingly at random, you could have a problem on your hands.
- Nasty Smells: Never ignore bad smells coming from your air conditioner, as this issue is only likely to get worse the longer it goes unchecked. In some cases, your air conditioner may simply be a little musty from all the moisture, and require some standard cleaning. If your AC unit is really dirty, mold can even start to grow inside of it, which isn’t good for anybody. However, sometimes there could be a larger internal area causing that bad smell. Fortunately, a trained technician will quickly be able to assess whether that nasty odor is coming from your ducts or your air conditioner, and present solutions to get rid of the offending stench ASAP.
- Strange Noises: As you probably already know, it is not uncommon for air conditioners to make a certain amount of noise, especially as they are turning on or powering down. However, loud, sudden, and strange noises are often a sign there is something wrong with your system. Watch out for rattling, buzzing, or grinding sounds. You could be dealing with a loose part, or a technical malfunction. Either way, however, you’ll want to get the issue checked out before the summer comes along.
- Leaks: A certain amount of condensation inside your AC is normal, given the amount of moisture that is being generated. However, your air conditioner also has a condensate line to get rid of this moisture efficiently, so you should not be seeing large pools of water around your unit. Whether there is a visible leak coming from your system or you keep finding puddles beneath your AC unit, you should always call a technician to take care of this, as water and refrigerant leaks can be costly to fix, and may even force you to replace your entire air conditioner if they are not promptly dealt with.
- Airflow Problems: If your house feels humid even when you are running your air conditioner, or your unit is blowing warm air instead of cold, or you are no longer getting any air from your system at all, make sure to call a licensed St. Louis AC repair tech. The baseline for successful AC operation is to provide consistent cooling power when you need it to, and if your air conditioner has stopped doing this, you could be dealing with a clogged filter, a leaky line, or a more serious mechanical issue.
AC Repair Vs. Replacement
Whenever your AC needs repair, you could either replace the unit outright or consult our AC repair experts. It might seem that repair is always the cost-effective maneuver but in the following circumstances replacement is more financially prudent in the long run.
1. Your AC is old – Usually an AC unit lasts from 8-12 years and exactly how long it goes depends on maintenance, use and the surrounding environment. If your AC is older than 8 years, you should reconsider an expensive repair and replace the unit so that you don’t sink money into one that’s on its last legs.
2. It needs repair after repair – Our St. Louis AC repair experts can always come in and fix most problems, but you shouldn’t be needing one repair after another. There comes a time when another repair call is more expensive than replacement so make the switch.
3. The unit needs R22 Freon – Since January 2020 these units have only gotten more expensive as the banned refrigerant has become more scarce so don’t put more money into a unit that’s only going to cost more and more.
Call Our St. Louis AC Repair Team Today
For expert air conditioning repairs throughout Ballwin, greater Metro St. Louis, and parts of Southern Illinois, Weis Comfort Systems is the company to call. On top of our affordable services, we offer flexible financing options and money-saving specials, so you can get the repairs you deserve regardless of your budget. We also guarantee a two-hour service window, so you know we’ll always be there in a reasonable amount of time. And with same-day and emergency appointments for when your AC issues just can’t wait, there’s never an inconvenient moment to call Weis Comfort Systems.